This roasted asparagus with balsamic vinegar and coconut oil is a perfect way to prepare asparagus to serve as a side dish. It’s super easy and quick to make and doesn’t require much of your attention when it’s in the oven.
Asparagus is my favourite summer vegetable. It’s easy to prepare, super nutritious and tastes awesome in salads, soups, stir-fry and as a side dish. You can either steam asparagus (I find that steamed asparagus tastes better in salads), roast it in the oven or grill it (roasted and grilled asparagus works better as a side dish).
When shopping for asparagus, look for bright green spears that are firm and straight. The tips should be compact and have a slightly purplish color. Don’t use pencil-thin or very thick asparagus, choose the ones that are medium in size.
Asparagus deteriorates quickly. Keep it in the fridge in the crisper compartment. Trim a ¼ inch off the lower end of the stalks and wrap the stalk in a moist paper towel or put the trimmed stalks in an inch of water. This way you can keep asparagus fresh for up to 3 days.
Wash asparagus under cool running water and break off the tough ends.
- 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 pound asparagus
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F.
- Wash the asparagus and pad it dry with a paper towel. Break of the woody ends. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the asparagus spears in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut oil, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce. Mix to combine. The oil isn't going to mix well with the liquids but that's fine, just mix it as much as you can. Pour the mixture over the asparagus and roll the asparagus to coat.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast the asparagus for about 15 minutes or until it's cooked through. Serve warm.
Serving Size1/4 of recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 106.7Total Fat 7.2gSaturated Fat 5.7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1.5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 98.8mgCarbohydrates 8.5gFiber 3.8gSugar 3gProtein 4.7g
Nutrition facts provided on this website are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a qualified health care provider for personalized diet advice and make sure that each of the ingredients is allowed in your diet.