This pan fried rainbow trout tastes great with any side dish. You can serve it with healthy whole grains such as quinoa, buckwheat, black rice or wild rice as well as with roasted, sauteed, or steamed vegetables, or with a side salad.
If you often come home in the evening and have nothing for dinner, this pan fried rainbow trout recipe is for you because you can have it ready in under 10 minutes. The leftovers taste great too and can be added to wraps, salads, and sandwiches.
If you want to plan ahead, you can cut portion-sized rainbow trout fillet pieces and keep them in the freezer. Pull a few fillets out of the freezer in the morning and put them in the fridge. They should defrost by the end of the day just in time for you coming home in the evening. Alternatively, you can also defrost them at room temperature.
It’s quite easy to make a one-pan dinner with these pan fried rainbow trout fillets. Just sautee some vegetables such as onions, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, or mushrooms in a pan before adding the fish.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4.5 oz / 130 g rainbow trout fillet, skin on
- garlic powder
- slice of lemon (optional)
- Generously season the rainbow trout fillet with the garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the fillet to the pan skin side down and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fish and let it cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily in the thick part of the fillet. Flip a few more times if necessary.
- Squeeze a little bit of lemon juice on top before serving.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 fillet
Amount Per ServingCalories 298Total Fat 21.4gSaturated Fat 3.6gTrans Fat 0.1gUnsaturated Fat 15.8gCholesterol 75.3mgSodium 210.9mgCarbohydrates 0.3gFiber 0.1gSugar 0gProtein 25.5g