These Roasted Coriander Carrots with Caramelized Onions make a very filling side dish that can be prepared all year around. Carrots and onions are always available in all grocery stores and are very inexpensive. They also keep very well in the fridge. In fact, you probably already have on hand everything you need to prepare this dish.
My favorite way of cooking vegetables is roasting them in the oven. I love this method because it’s easy and doesn’t involve any complicated techniques – just clean and cut the veggies, put them in the oven, toss once or twice and you have a delicious dish.
I also find that roasted vegetables taste much better than veggies prepared any other way and often tell people who say that they don’t like a particular vegetable to try it roasted.
Make sure to spread the carrots on the baking sheet in a thin layer and toss them at least once during cooking to ensure that they roast evenly and don’t burn.
I added a generous amount of olive oil to these roasted coriander carrots. Not only does it make the carrots and onions taste better, but it also helps with the absorption of beta-carotene.
- 3 pounds carrots
- 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- salt to taste
- 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- a handful of parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Wash and peel the carrots. Cut each carrot into 2 to 4 equal-sized pieces that are about 2 inches long. Then cut each piece into 2 to 4 sticks.
- Spread the carrots over a baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, coriander, maple syrup and season with salt. Toss to combine.
- Place in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender and start to caramelize. Make sure to turn the carrots with a spatula after about 15 minutes.
- To prepare the onion, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook until the onion is caramelized for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the carrots are done, sprinkle them with the apple cider vinegar. Add the caramelized onion and toss.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley or cilantro before serving.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1/4 of recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 290Total Fat 14.5gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12.5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 312.1mgCarbohydrates 39.9gFiber 10.5gSugar 20.8gProtein 3.7g
Nutrition facts provided on this website are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a qualified health care provider for personalized diet advice and make sure that each of the ingredients is allowed in your diet.