This Mediterranean quinoa salad isn’t going to change your life. But it can help you solve a few of your dinner problems because you can serve this salad as a main or a side dish, and take the leftovers to work to eat for lunch the next day.
How to adapt this Mediterranean quinoa salad recipe to your taste and dietary preferences:
- Don’t have any red beans on hand? Use black beans or chick peas instead.
- Have had enough of quinoa? Other healthy grains such as farro or bulgur will also taste great in this salad.
- Love other fresh herbs? Dill or basil will add a unique flavor to this salad.
- Don’t have any red cherry tomatoes? Use regular tomatoes instead or buy yellow cherry tomatoes to make the salad even more colorful.
- Love garlic? This salad will definitely benefit from adding one or two garlic cloves.
- Want to experiment with dressing? Try adding balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice.
- And what about the oil? Olive oil is always great, and you can also try flaxseed, avocado, or walnut oil.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Red Beans and Feta
This Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Red Beans and Feta is delicious and healthy. Enjoy it for dinner as a main or side dish or take it to work the next day for a healthy lunch.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- 3/4 cup quinoa (or about 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa)
- 1 can (540ml/19 oz) red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and julienned
- 6 radishes, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, loosely packed
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the Dressing:
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- To cook quinoa, rinse and soak it in cold water for 30 minutes to 4 hours. Drain and rinse well one more time. This will help to get rid of any left-over saponin residue (a natural insect repellent) that gives a bitter taste.
- Place 3/4 cup quinoa and 1 1/2 cup water into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy and has absorbed all of the liquid. Let it cool.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the red beans, cucumber, red bell pepper, radishes, onion, cherry tomatoes, parsley, feta cheese, and cooked quinoa.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice and toss to combine.
1. I don’t add salt to this salad because feta is usually pretty salty.
2. This salad keeps well in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
3. Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 6 servings.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 338
- Sugar: 7.1g
- Sodium: 449.8mg
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 14.7g
- Cholesterol: 22.3mg