This beetroot soup is very light and perfect for the time of year when we are transitioning from hearty soups and stews to lighter meals.
There is a common misconception about beets being high glycemic. It’s true that beets have a medium glycemic index of 64. However, glycemic index only shows us how fast the carbohydrate in any given food raises blood sugar. It doesn’t take into consideration the amount of carbohydrate in the food. Beets, for example, contain a very small amount of carbohydrate and, therefore, have a low glycemic load of 2.
Beets are full of minerals, vitamins and phytochemicals. They have a detoxifying effect and are also beneficial for people with anemia because they help build the red blood cells.
Beets are very inexpensive and keep well in a dark cool place which makes them perfect for winter and early spring.
This Beetroot Soup with Beans is quite easy to make. Although, I have to warn you that grating the beets requires some effort. Beets will also stain your hands so wear gloves if this is an issue for you. If you have a food processor with a shredding disk, this will make your job much easier.
Grated vegetables cook quite fast so make sure not to overcook them. Crunchy veggies taste better and also retain more nutrients.
Beetroot Soup with Beans
Beetroot Soup with Beans Recipe. This healthy and easy to make soup is full of wonderful nutrients and fiber. Make a big pot and enjoy all week long.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 5 to 6 portions
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium beets, grated
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 L / 4 cups vegetable stock
- 5 cups water
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 lemon
- 2 handfuls chopped parsley
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, for about 4 minutes. Add the beets, carrots, bell pepper and tomatoes. Cover and cook stirring, occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, water, black beans and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the soup and drop the squeezed lemon piece into the soup too. Add the parsley. Cook the soup for another 2 to 3 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Serve with 1 to 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt or sour cream, or a vegan substitute for dairy-free and/or vegan option.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 6 servings.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 168
- Sugar: 8.5g
- Sodium: 183.6mg
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26.1g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 0g