This spicy red lentil soup is delicious, filling, comforting, healthy, low glycemic, dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free, and simply perfect. It’s also spicy enough to warm you up on a cold rainy day.
5 Reasons to Make This Spicy Red Lentil Soup:
- It’s quick. All you need to do is chop the veggies and then saute them in olive oil for a few minutes. Add the red lentils and cook them until they start falling apart. Red lentils cook quite fast so in just 30 minutes you will have a big pot of soup ready to enjoy.
- It’s easy. You don’t need to know any complicated cooking techniques to make this spicy red lentil soup recipe. Just cook the veggies a bit and then add the lentils to the pot and simmer everything together until done.
- It’s budget friendly. It won’t cost you much at all to make this spicy red lentil soup. Lentils are one of the most affordable protein rich foods available today. Just add a few simple vegetables, and you’ll have an inexpensive, healthy dinner waiting for you in the evening.
- It’s healthy. This spicy red lentil soup is full of protein and fiber. This combination makes it low glycemic and very filling. It’s also naturally gluten and dairy free.
Did you know that cayenne and crushed red pepper are made from the same species of pepper, which is known as Capsicum?
Interesting fact: capsaicin – the substance that burns the mouth – stimulates the production of endorphins which are the body’s natural painkillers. Cayenne and crushed red pepper are full of wonderful antioxidants and vitamins which work together to help the body detoxify and heal. One more reason to cozy up on the couch with a bowl of this spicy soup.
Spicy Red Lentil Soup with Veggies
This Spicy Red Lentil Soup is filling, comforting, healthy, low GI, dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free and simply perfect. It’s also spicy enough to warm you up on a cold rainy day.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6 portions 1x
- Category: Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 medium zucchini, peeled and diced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 L/ 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp red paprika
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- crushed red pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, for 2 to 4 minutes. Add the carrots and cook until the vegetables start to caramelize, for about 4 more minutes.
- Add the zucchini and tomatoes. Stir and saute the vegetables until they start to soften, for about 4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, lentils, red paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes until lentils fall apart.
- Serve with crushed red pepper.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 6 servings.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 256
- Sugar: 5.8g
- Sodium: 637.4mg
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 40.5g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 0g