This healthy cabbage salad is made with raw cabbage, carrot, red bell pepper, apple, and dill. It’s budget-friendly, delicious, and chock-full of healthy nutrients. You can make a big batch because this salad keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To make the shredded cabbage softer and easier to chew and digest, place it in a salad bowl, sprinkle with sugar, and massage for about 30 seconds. You will notice that the cabbage will start to release moisture. The sugar will also help to ferment the cabbage if you keep it in the fridge for a couple of days.
To prevent the apple from turning brown, toss it in lemon juice. Lemon juice is high in vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant.
Don’t be afraid to add a generous amount of dill to this healthy cabbage salad. Dill is very nutritious and adds a lot of flavor.
- 1/3 green cabbage, shredded
- 1 green apple such as Granny Smith
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ cup dill, chopped
- 3 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Place the shredded cabbage into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and massage the cabbage with your hands for about 30 seconds. This will help to break down the fibers and make the cabbage softer.
- Chop the apple and toss it in the lemon juice.
- Add the apple, carrot, red pepper, dill, white vinegar, and oil. Season with salt and toss to combine.
1. Keeping the salad in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours before serving makes it even better.
2. This salad is great for a party, just double the recipe if you are expecting a big crowd.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1/5 of recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 64Total Fat 2.9gSaturated Fat 0.4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2.3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 39.8mgCarbohydrates 8.9gFiber 1.9gSugar 6.3gProtein 0.6g
Nutrition facts provided on this website are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a qualified health care provider for personalized diet advice and make sure that each of the ingredients is allowed in your diet.