This soup is delicious and nutritious. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days or you can also freeze it. Come home every day to a bowl of a tasty fish soup with millet.Print
My Mom’s Recipe – Fish Soup with Millet
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings 1x
- 11 cups water
- 1 pound wild salmon, fresh or frozen
- 1 onion, peeled
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup millet
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a very large pot, add water, salmon, bay leaf, onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the onion and discard.
- Remove the fish to a cutting board and cut into small pieces. Stir fish back to the soup.
- Add the tomato, carrot, potatoes, and millet. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for another 30 minutes.
If you don’t have fresh or frozen wild salmon, you can also use canned salmon. You would need 2 to 3 cans. If you are using canned salmon, reduce the cooking time by about 20 minutes.