This flavorful peperonata is made with a perfect blend of fresh ingredients. It’s a healthy and simple dish that you can serve in many different ways.
What is Peperonata?
Peperonata is a stew made with bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, olive oil, and garlic. It’s a popular Italian dish and has a few regional recipe variations.
How to Serve Peperonata
Peperonata is very versatile. It’s a stew, side dish, sauce, appetizer, relish, topping, and spread all at the same time! And it’s delicious served hot or cold.
Here are a few ideas on how you can serve it:
- add it to fried eggs or frittata;
- put it in a sandwich or wrap;
- serve it as a side dish;
- add it to a grain and vegetable bowl;
- serve over toasted bread or as crostini;
- add it to soup;
- put on top of chicken breast;
- serve with grilled meats;
- use it as a sauce;
- and more!
Peperonata is made with just a few basic ingredients which can be easily found at grocery stores or farmers’ markets. They are usually quite inexpensive, especially in summer, which makes stewed bell peppers a budget-friendly dish.
The Main Ingredients for the Basic Peperonata Recipe
For the basic peperonata you will need:
- olive oil
- bell peppers
- canned or fresh tomatoes
- red or white wine vinegar, or balsamic vinegar
- fresh herbs for serving
Optional Ingredients for Recipe Variations
These ingredients are also often added to stewed bell peppers:
Which Bell Peppers are Good For Peperonata?
I prefer using bell peppers of different colors because the dish turns out very colorful. You can also use just red, yellow, or orange bell peppers. Red bell peppers are usually the most flavorful.
If you would like to use green bell peppers, make sure to mix them with other bell peppers for more flavor.
How to Prepare Bell Peppers for Stewing
Bell peppers are the main ingredient in peperonata. Here is how you can quickly prep them for stewing:
- wash the peppers under running water;
- remove the stem and seeds;
- cut the peppers into 3 or 4 large chunks;
- remove the white membrane;
- slice the peppers into thin strips.
How to Make Peperonata
Peperonata is very easy to make, and you can have it ready in just a few easy steps:
Step 1. In a heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is translucent for about 3 minutes. Make sure to stir from time to time. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant.
Step 2. Add the bell peppers. Stir to make sure they are evenly coated in olive oil. Cover and cook until the peppers have softened slightly for about 7 minutes. Reduce the heat if needed and make sure to check on the peppers occasionally.
Step 3. Season the peppers with salt. Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and stir.
Step 4. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the peppers with tomatoes for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the desired consistency. Take off the heat and let it stand covered for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
How to Store Peperonata
Store peperonata in a refrigerator in a jar or a glass container with a tight lid for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
More Healthy Recipes with Bell Peppers
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
- salt to taste
- 1 can (14 oz/398 ml) low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- fresh herbs for serving (optional)
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook stirring occasionally until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the bell peppers. Stir to make sure they are evenly covered with olive oil. Cover the skillet and cook the peppers until they are soft, for about 7 minutes. Check on the peppers from time to time and stir if needed.
- Season the peppers with salt. Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and stir.
- Cover the skillet. Reduce the heat and simmer the peppers with tomatoes for about 15 to 20 minutes until they reach the desired consistency. Take off the heat and let it stand covered to allow the flavors to blend. Serve hot or cold.
1. Store in the refrigerator in a glass jar or container with a tight lid for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
2. Serve hot or cold.
Serving Size1/5 of recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 49Total Fat 0.3gSaturated Fat 0.1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0.2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 49mgCarbohydrates 10.7gFiber 2.7gSugar 6.3gProtein 1.7g