These savory carrot muffins are easy to make and are a perfect alternative to the traditional ones. Without any added sugar, they make a great healthy snack. They are perfect for breakfast and can also be served with a soup or salad.
This summer hasn’t been super hot and maybe it’s a good thing because I can experiment with baking.
So, lately, I’ve been on a mission to make savory muffins. I’ve tried a few different recipes to compare and see which one I like best. I can’t say that my previous attempts failed. It’s just I wasn’t completely happy about them.
That’s until I made these carrot muffins.
And the way the pictures turned out, I think I should have called them Sunny Carrot Muffins because each muffin looks like a mini sun:
They will keep well in the fridge in a glass container with a tight lid for about 5 days.
Savory Carrot Muffins
These Savory Carrot Muffins make a great healthy snack. Perfect for breakfast and can also be served with a soup or salad. Very easy to make.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Baking
- 4 Tbsp olive oil (2 Tbsp for cooking carrots + 2 Tbsp for the dough)
- 4 medium carrots, grated (about 2 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/4 cup your favorite non-dairy or cow’s milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a medium pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the grated carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are cooked through, for about 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure not to overcook the carrots.
- In the meantime, put the whole spelt flour, baking powder, garlic powder, ground coriander and salt into a bowl. Mix to combine.
- In a different bowl, add the eggs, milk and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir to combine. Add the cooked carrots and mix just until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Spoon the dough into muffin pan, dividing evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 12 muffins.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 137
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Sodium: 231.5mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17.8g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 26.7mg