These savory carrot muffins are easy to make and a perfect alternative to the traditional ones. Without any added sugar, they make a great healthy snack. They are perfect for breakfast and can also be served with soup or salad.
This summer hasn’t been super hot and maybe it’s a good thing because I can experiment with baking.
So, lately, I’ve been on a mission to make savory muffins. I’ve tried a few different recipes to compare and see which one I like best. I can’t say that my previous attempts failed. It’s just I wasn’t completely happy about them.
That’s until I made these carrot muffins.
And the way the pictures turned out, I think I should have called them Sunny Carrot Muffins because each muffin looks like a mini sun:
They will keep well in the fridge in a glass container with a tight lid for about 5 days.
And if you want to try sweet muffins made with spelt flour, try these Healthy Spelt Raspberry Muffins.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil (2 Tbsp for cooking carrots + 2 Tbsp for the batter)
- 4 medium carrots, grated (about 2 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/4 cup your favorite non-dairy or cow's milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a medium pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the grated carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are cooked through, for about 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure not to overcook the carrots.
- In the meantime, put the whole spelt flour, baking powder, garlic powder, ground coriander, and salt into a bowl. Mix to combine.
- In a different bowl, add the eggs, milk and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir to combine. Add the cooked carrots and mix just until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, dividing evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving Calories 137Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5.6gCholesterol 26.7mgSodium 231.5mgCarbohydrates 17.8gFiber 3.2gSugar 2.5gProtein 4.4g
Nutrition facts provided on this website are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a qualified health care provider for personalized diet advice and make sure that each of the ingredients is allowed in your diet.