These savory carrot muffins are easy to make and a perfect alternative to the traditional ones. Without any added sugar, they make a great healthy snack. They are perfect for breakfast and can also be served with soup or salad.
This summer hasn’t been super hot and maybe it’s a good thing because I can experiment with baking.
So, lately, I’ve been on a mission to make savory muffins. I’ve tried a few different recipes to compare and see which one I like best. I can’t say that my previous attempts failed. It’s just I wasn’t completely happy about them.
That’s until I made these carrot muffins.
And the way the pictures turned out, I think I should have called them Sunny Carrot Muffins because each muffin looks like a mini sun:
They will keep well in the fridge in a glass container with a tight lid for about 5 days.
And if you want to try sweet muffins made with spelt flour, try these Healthy Spelt Raspberry Muffins.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil (2 Tbsp for cooking carrots + 2 Tbsp for the batter)
- 4 medium carrots, grated (about 2 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/4 cup your favorite non-dairy or cow's milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a medium pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the grated carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are cooked through, for about 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure not to overcook the carrots.
- In the meantime, put the whole spelt flour, baking powder, garlic powder, ground coriander, and salt into a bowl. Mix to combine.
- In a different bowl, add the eggs, milk and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir to combine. Add the cooked carrots and mix just until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, dividing evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 muffin
Amount Per ServingCalories 137Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5.6gCholesterol 26.7mgSodium 231.5mgCarbohydrates 17.8gFiber 3.2gSugar 2.5gProtein 4.4g