This fresh and flavorful Mediterranean Tomato Salad is very easy to make! Juicy tomatoes, onion, and black olives are tossed with a simple balsamic dressing and topped with tangy feta making the perfect fragrant and savory summer salad.
I’ve enjoyed something similar to this tomato salad with feta at a couple of restaurants, and each time I’m blown away by how a salad so simple can be this dang good!
The combination of sweet, savory, and tangy flavors with juicy, crunchy, and tender textures sets this Mediterranean tomato salad apart from any tomato salad I’ve had before.
This is an excellent recipe to showcase your homegrown fresh tomatoes, so grab a few from the garden or the farmer’s market, and let’s make this delicious tomato feta salad!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You’ll make the best Mediterranean-style salad in under 5 minutes.
- Only 7 ingredients, but SO much flavor!
- This tomato salad recipe is quick and easy to make.
- This simple salad makes a delicious and nutritious side dish for summer parties and barbecues.
- It’s also perfect for a light lunch on a hot summer day.
- This easy recipe is budget-friendly. There’s only a handful of simple ingredients, most of which you may already have on hand.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Tomatoes – This salad is best when tomatoes are sun-ripened and extra juicy in the summer and early fall. When tomatoes aren’t in season, use heirloom tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and cherry tomatoes which are typically the sweetest and juiciest.
- Black olives – A staple of Mediterranean food. Be sure to use pitted black olives.
- Red onion – I like making this salad with red onion for the pop of purple. You can also use shallot and sweet onion.
- Feta – For a classic Greek tomato salad, feta is non-negotiable!
- Extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and dried oregano – These ingredients are perfect for a very simple salad dressing. For the best-tasting tomato and feta salad, use your best quality oil and vinegar.
How To Make a Mediterranean Tomato Salad with Feta
- Mix the dressing: Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and dried oregano together in a small bowl.
- Assemble the salad: Place the sliced tomato, olives, and onion in a large salad bowl. Pour in the dressing and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle the feta cheese over the top, and serve!
The dressing is best with dried oregano. The acidity in the dressing will wilt fresh oregano, and that’s not very tasty. But if you have fresh oregano, feel free to sprinkle it over the top before serving.
Don’t overmix the salad. Gently toss everything together, doing your best not to damage the tomatoes.
Craving garlic? Stir a teaspoon or two of freshly grated garlic in with the dressing.
No need for salt. The feta cheese and black olives will add briney, salty flavor.
Variations & Serving
See below for modifications and substitutions. I don’t recommend fussing with the ingredients too much, as this tomato feta salad is perfect!
- Try adding fresh cucumber slices, chopped bell pepper, and/or blanched green beans for more veggies.
- Use an olive medley. With over a hundred types of olives, there are plenty to choose from!
- Add capers or marinated onions. Try adding sumac marinated onions instead of red onion or some of each.
- Finish the salad with fresh lemon juice and zest to brighten up every flavor.
- Add fresh herbs. Try chopped fresh parsley, dill, basil, or some of each.
- As a substitution for feta, try freshly grated parmesan or pecorino romano.
Enjoy your tomato salad as a meal or serve it as a side salad along with chicken kebobs, or grilled, baked, or pan-fried rainbow trout, salmon, halibut, or cod.
This tomato salad is best enjoyed immediately.
Keep leftovers in an airtight glass container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes in advance as it tastes the best at room temperature.
Due to the high water content in tomatoes, freezing is not recommended.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I chill my tomato salad before serving it?
Nope! It’s best served right after you toss everything together and the ingredients are at room temperature.
Can I make this salad vegan?
Absolutely! Swap feta cheese for your favorite vegan feta. Check your local health food store’s vegan cheese selection.
More Raw Salad Recipes You’ll Love
If you love this tomato feta salad, be sure to try:
- German Cucumber Salad
- Raw Turnip Salad
- Raw Beet Salad
- Fresh Vegetable Salad without Lettuce
- Romaine Salad with Chopped Vegetables
Mediterranean Tomato Salad
This simple Mediterranean tomato salad is made with fresh tomatoes, feta cheese, olives, and olive oil. Very easy to make. Perfect for lunch and dinner.
- 2 pounds tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup crumbled or cubed feta
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 1/3 red onion (about 1/2 cup sliced onion), sliced
For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- To make the dressing, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and dried oregano to a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- Place the tomato slices, olives and onion into a salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the tomatoes and gently toss to combine. Add the feta cheese and serve.
1. This salad keeps well in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 276Total Fat 21.8gSaturated Fat 7.5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13.4gCholesterol 33.4mgSodium 578.3mgCarbohydrates 14.8gFiber 4gSugar 9.2gProtein 7.8g
Nutrition facts provided on this website are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a qualified health care provider for personalized diet advice and make sure that each of the ingredients is allowed in your diet.