This Mediterranean tomato salad is delicious and very easy to make. It can be served on its own as a light meal or as a side salad with meat and fish.
I first tried this salad at a small restaurant when I was living in Vienna, Austria.
I don’t remember if the restaurant was Italian or Greek that’s why I call this salad Mediterranean. It has olives, so it must be from there, right?
I also tried a similar salad here in Toronto at an Italian deli. So, maybe it’s Italian after all?
Regardless of the origin, I love this salad so much, I could eat it every day for lunch and dinner.
In case you are wondering, the small plant in the background is the oregano that is currently growing on my balcony.
It’s a part of my ‘growing fresh herbs on my balcony’ experiment I started in spring. I never knew that oregano plants look so pretty!
Although I do have fresh oregano on hand, I only use dried oregano for this salad because the dressing would cook fresh herbs right away making them absolutely unappetizing.
If you decide to add some fresh herbs to this salad, do so just before serving.
Since feta cheese is usually a bit salty as well as olives have some salt in them too, there is no need to add extra salt to this salad.
And in case you have fresh tomatoes from your own garden and/or can enjoy this salad on a patio/balcony or under a tree, you are in for a treat.
- 2 pounds tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup crumbled or cubed feta
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 1/3 red onion (about 1/2 cup sliced onion), sliced
For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- To make the dressing, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and dried oregano to a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- Place the tomato slices, olives and onion into a salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the tomatoes and gently toss to combine. Add the feta cheese and serve.
1. This salad keeps well in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Serving Size1/4 of recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 276Total Fat 21.8gSaturated Fat 7.5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13.4gCholesterol 33.4mgSodium 578.3mgCarbohydrates 14.8gFiber 4gSugar 9.2gProtein 7.8g