Even though I used canned black beans for this recipe (it’s just so much faster!), you can also prepare it with dried beans. If you want to make this chili vegetarian, just use one more can of beans instead of turkey.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can (19 oz /540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup canned marinated artichoke hearts, rinsed and sliced
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 can ( 28 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dry paprika
- ½ tsp dry basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook stirring frequently for 1 minute. Add the carrots and cook until the vegetables begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey, stir well. Add paprika, dry basil, salt and pepper, stir and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans, artichoke hearts and parsley; stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 more minutes.