All right, guys, the soup season has officially started and I hope you are as excited as I am!
Imagine coming home from work to a nice big pot of soup. No need to worry about making your dinner in a hurry, just warm up a bowl of this Hearty Chicken and White Bean Soup and enjoy.
Soup is probably the easiest low glycemic meal you can make. It can be eaten for lunch and dinner and is filling and comforting.
Last fall, I wrote a post about How to Make a Perfect Low Glycemic Soup where I shared all my secrets on cooking a hearty healthy soup.
If you follow the simple rules I shared in that post, you will become a real pro at cooking soup.
I usually cook a pot of soup once or twice per week. I always cook a big batch so that we have enough leftovers to last us a few days. You can also freeze soup in glass containers to use later.
Another great way to get more variety in your diet is to partner with a healthy eating buddy and exchange dishes you prepare at home.
This is how it works:
You and your buddy cook different dishes in big batches and then exchange half of the prepared food. This way you only cook once but get twice the variety. This works really well with soups – you only cook one soup but get to eat 2 different kinds of soup. How fun is that?
This buddy system works really well for people who have similar taste and nutrition preferences. However, it’s not a good fit for people with allergies.
So, as we are getting closer to the weekend, what kind of soup are you going to cook?
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 L/ 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (796 ml/28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs, cooked and cut into small pieces, See notes
- 1 can white kidney beans
- 1/2 Tbsp red paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is translucent for about 2 to 4 minutes. Add the carrot and cook until the vegetables start to caramelize, for about 4 more minutes.
- Add the zucchini and red and yellow bell pepper. Stir and saute the vegetables until they start to soften for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, chicken, beans, red paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 8 more minutes.
- Add the green peas. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 more minute.