To continue the fall recipe madness here on the blog, I decided to share with you this Vanilla Apple Flan recipe.
I remembered this recipe when my husband and I were on a day trip to see a pretty small town about 2-hour drive East of Toronto.
On our way there, we stopped at the Big Apple.
No, not that Big Apple.
The Big Apple in Colborne, Ontario.
The Big Apple is a fun tourist attraction for those who are traveling from Toronto to Ottawa or Quebec and back. It includes a restaurant, a store and a bakery where they bake apple pies right in front of you.
So, when we were there I remembered that my Grandma would bake a very simple Apple Flan and we all liked it so much. How could I forget about it?
I changed the recipe a little bit because I like to bake with whole spelt flour and make my recipes dairy free whenever possible. (And of course, my Grandma didn’t bake with coconut sugar).
The result was fantastic!
I got a ton of compliments from my recipe tasting team which includes my husband, his friend and my lovely neighbour Carole.
My husband even requested that I make it again because he thought he got the smallest piece the first time around.
This flan is very easy to make. It’s moist and soft and is a perfect apple dessert.
Vanilla Apple Flan
This Vanilla Apple Flan is delicious and very easy to make. It’s a great alternative to an apple pie or an apple tart. This recipe is dairy-free and made with whole spelt flour.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 5 to 6 slices
- 1/3 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, See the Notes
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 medium apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Place the flour, baking powder, coconut sugar and salt into a bowl and mix well.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well until the batter is smooth.
- Add the apple slices and carefully combine with the batter making sure all apples slices are evenly covered.
- Carefully transfer the apples into a spring form pan or baking dish ( I use 9-inch spring form pan or 8 by 8-inch baking dish). Arrange the apples evenly so that there are no gaps between slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
- Let the flan cool completely before cutting.
Any dairy-free or cow’s milk would work too.
- Serving Size: 1 slice