This Greek lentil soup is very filling and comforting. It’s a hearty soup that you can cook on the weekend and then enjoy all week long.
Even though this Greek lentil soup is meatless, I promise that you won’t miss the meat because this soup is full of protein and fiber from lentils and vegetables. The combination of protein and fiber makes this Greek lentil soup very filling so that it can be eaten as a meal. In addition, this lentil soup is also naturally gluten-free.
And as a bonus, this Greek Lentil Soup Faki is super budget-friendly. All you need are some green lentils which are on the list of my favorite inexpensive low glycemic foods, carrots, celery, onion, some spices and green herbs and you have a big pot of soup to keep you happy all week long.
This Greek lentils soup is also quite easy to make and is perfect for beginner home cooks.
Greek Lentil Soup – Faki
This Greek Lentil Soup Faki is full of veggies and protein. It’s healthy, filling, and comforting. A budget friendly recipe that is super easy to make.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4 to 6 portions
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Greek, Gluten-Free, Meatless, Vegan
- 1 L / 4 cups vegetable broth
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup green lentils, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz./796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley or cilantro to serve
- Add the vegetable stock, water and lentils to a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes until the lentils start to soften.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery and onions. Cook stirring occasionally for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetables, garlic powder and dried oregano to the lentils. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for about 25 to 30 minutes until the lentils and veggies are cooked through.
- Serve with fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving.
- Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe
- Calories: 306
- Sugar: 7.7g
- Sodium: 955.5mg
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 16.5g
- Cholesterol: 0g