This red lentil soup with coconut milk is very smooth and silky. It’s also filling and comforting thanks to the high protein red lentils.
Red lentils make a great base for low glycemic soups. I love using them because you don’t have to soak them in advance and they cook really fast.
A bowl of this red lentil soup with coconut milk makes a great lunch and you can also eat it as a snack. It makes a great appetizer soup that you can offer your guests if you are hosting a dinner party. This soup is so rich that nobody will think that it’s dairy-free.
This recipe has been up on the blog for a long time and I am happy to report that many readers have tried and enjoyed it.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 L / 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 can (400 ml / 13.5 oz) full fat coconut milk
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 to 4 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the vegetable stock, water, red lentils, and ginger. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes until lentils fall apart.
- Add the coconut milk and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 4 more minutes. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Once the soup is cool enough to handle, transfer to a food processor or a blender and puree until smooth. Warm up before serving.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 6 servings.
Serving Size1/6 of recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 358Total Fat 18.8gSaturated Fat 12.8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4.9gCholesterol 0mgSodium 53.8mgCarbohydrates 37.6gFiber 6.6gSugar 3.7gProtein 13.8g
Nutrition facts provided on this website are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a qualified health care provider for personalized diet advice and make sure that each of the ingredients is allowed in your diet.