This Chicken Stew Served with Buckwheat and Avocado is an example of a perfect healthy low glycemic meal.
Here you have low glycemic carbs from the buckwheat and veggies, protein from the chicken, mushrooms and green peas, and some healthy fat from the avocado.
Serve this yumminess with a green or raw veggie salad and you have it all covered. (I had it with this cabbage salad, which didn’t make it into the picture).
You can also make the stew vegetarian by adding a bit more mushrooms and beans instead of chicken.
The stew also tastes great with quinoa or barley.
- 1 avocado to serve
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 2 cup water
- 1/8 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, cored and chopped
- 1/2 pound brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup organic frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup coconut milk beverage or any other non-dairy milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp barley flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the buckwheat under running water.
- In a medium saucepan, add the buckwheat, water and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and mushrooms and stir-fry for about 3 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the chicken. Mix well. Reduce the heat. Cover and cook for about 8 minutes or until the chicken is almost done.
- In the meantime, add the coconut milk beverage, chicken stock and barley flour to a bowl and mix well. Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Add the corn, peas and cherry tomatoes to the chicken. Season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and let it simmer for about 3 more minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through. Be careful to not overcook the veggies.
- Serve the chicken stew with buckwheat and avocado slices.