Egg avocado toast is a simple breakfast or brunch you can easily throw together in just a few minutes. A multi-grain toast, runny fried egg, and creamy avocado make a quick, healthy, and satisfying meal. It’s delicious, packed with nutrients, and features my favorite healthy fat – avocado!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This avocado toast with egg provides you with carbs, protein, and fat, making it a healthy meal that will have you feeling full for hours.
- This healthy protein-packed breakfast is a great way to start the day.
- You can make this egg avocado toast any time of day. It’s the perfect balanced meal for breakfast or brunch. And if you pair it with a side salad, you can also serve it for lunch or a light dinner.
- Easily customize to your liking – the options are endless!
- It’s a great way to use up ripe avocados.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Olive Oil: In this recipe, olive oil is used to coat the pan and keep the egg from sticking.
- Red or Yellow Bell Pepper: The bell pepper slice makes for a nicer presentation and also adds some fresh flavor to the dish.
- Egg: The runny egg adds protein, keeping you satisfied longer.
- Ripe Avocado: The smooth and creamy avocado is a great source of healthy fats and fiber.
- Lemon Juice: The freshly squeezed lemon juice keeps the avocado from browning. You can also use lime juice instead.
- Slice of Toasted Bread: Use multi-grain, whole-grain, sprouted grain, or rye bread. Choose bread that is firm enough to hold the egg.
- Salt: A pinch of flaky sea salt adds the finishing touch to the avocado toast and enhances the flavors.
- Chopped Parsley: This nutrient-dense herb enhances all of the flavors, adds a pop of color, and gives a boost of vitamins and minerals.
How To Make Fried Egg Avocado Toast
- In a small pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Place the bell pepper ring on the pan. Carefully break the egg directly into the bell pepper ring.
- In the meantime, toast the bread and make the avocado mash. Simply scoop the avocado flesh into a small bowl and mash it with a fork. Sprinkle with lemon juice and spread on the toast.
- Once the egg is set within the bell pepper ring, carefully place it on the avocado toast. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and season with sea salt.
Select large, firm bell peppers. You want the slice of bell pepper to be roomy enough to hold the whole egg.
Choose ripe avocados. A good one has dark green (almost black) skin and is ripe enough to squeeze gently without bruising.
Use thick slices of high-quality multi-grain bread. A sturdy toasted bread with creamy avocado is texture paradise.
Don’t overcook the egg. An ooey-gooey fried egg on avocado toast is THE BEST.
Avocado Toast Variations
- Switch up the egg and top the avocado toast with poached, scrambled, or sliced hard-boiled egg.
- Add something extra. Top the toast with pickled red onions, sliced tomato, radish slices, arugula, or feta cheese.
- Add fresh herbs such as fresh basil, dill, green onions, or chives.
- Add seasonings such as red pepper flakes or everything bagel seasoning.
- Add shredded cheese to the egg, so it melts while the egg is cooking.
- Meat-lovers can top it with something meaty like chorizo or bacon.
How To Store Avocado Toast
Fried egg avocado toast is best prepared right before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if an avocado is good?
Squeeze the avocado gently. If it yields to the pressure, the avocado is ready to eat.
What do you do if the avocado isn’t ripe enough?
If you tried to cut the avocado and discovered that it’s not ripe enough, you can squeeze lemon or lime juice where the fruit is punctured, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and leave it on the counter until it softens.
Can I make gluten-free avocado toast?
Sure thing. Simply use your favorite gluten-free bread (ideally one that you know won’t fall apart).
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
If you are looking for more ways to serve eggs for breakfast or brunch, check out this Asparagus and Salmon Egg Bake, this Baked Eggs with Beans and Veggies, and these Sunny Side up Eggs with Veggies.
Egg Avocado Toast
This Egg Avocado Toast with Egg recipe is very easy to make. It's a perfect meal for a healthy breakfast or brunch and can also be served with a side salad for lunch or dinner.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 slice red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 slice of toasted multi-grain bread
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Place the bell pepper ring on the pan. Carefully break the egg in half and place it directly into the ring.
- In the meantime, toast the bread and make the avocado mash. Scoop the avocado flesh into a small bowl and mash it with a fork. Sprinkle with lemon juice and spread on the toast.
- Once the egg is set, carefully place it on the avocado toast. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and season with sea salt
Nutrition InformationYield 1 portion Serving Size 1 toast
Amount Per Serving Calories 393Total Fat 25.5gSaturated Fat 4.4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18.6gCholesterol 186mgSodium 184.6mgCarbohydrates 32.6gFiber 10.4gSugar 2.7gProtein 13.7g
Nutrition facts provided on this website are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a qualified health care provider for personalized diet advice and make sure that each of the ingredients is allowed in your diet.