On a busy morning, it can be challenging to prepare a low-glycemic breakfast, unless, you have some left-over quinoa in your fridge. Just add your favorite non-dairy milk some fruit and nuts and the perfect breakfast is ready.
Cook quinoa the day before:
1. Rinse quinoa and let it soak for 30 minutes. This will help to get rid of any left-over saponin residue (a natural insect repellent) that leaves a bitter taste.
2. Cook in a pot on the stove or in a rice cooker. You will need one part of quinoa and 2 parts of water.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy and has absorbed all of the liquid.
4. Keep cooked quinoa in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- 2/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 2/3 cup your favorite non-dairy milk
- ½ banana, sliced
- ½ apple, cubed
- 6 walnut halves
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp agave nectar (optional)
- In a bowl, mix the quinoa with milk. You can warm up the milk if you prefer your breakfast to be warm.
- Add the banana, apple, chia seeds and agave nectar.
- Mix well.