Persimmons are in season in the fall and early winter, which is the perfect time for making baked fruit desserts.
Baked persimmons are colorful, naturally sweet, flavorful, comforting, and satisfying. They are also very easy to make.
The Best Persimmons for Baking
There are quite a few varieties of persimmons available, but not all of them can be used for baking.
For this recipe, you will need non-astringent persimmons that are still firm when ripe. I usually use Fuyu persimmons and have also made them using Vanilla persimmons, which are imported from Spain.
How to Make Easy Spiced Baked Persimmons
Step 1. Wash the persimmons and remove the leaves.
Slice the persimmons into uniform wedges. The easiest way to do this is first to cut a persimmon in half. Then, cut each of the halves in half, and finally, cut the quarters in half. You should have eight roughly-equal wedges.
Cutting persimmons into even slices helps them cook evenly and be done at the same time.
Step 2. Spread the persimmon wedges on a baking dish in a single layer making sure they are not piled on top of each other, and there is space around each slice.
Step 3. Add the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves to a small bowl and mix.
Step 4. Sprinkle half of the spice mix over the persimmons. Flip each slice onto the other side and sprinkle with the rest of the spice mix.
Step 5. Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, and hot water to a small bowl and mix until the coconut oil is melted.
The water needs to be hot to melt the coconut oil, so if you don’t have hot water, you can just warm up the mixture in a microwave.
Step 6. Pour the mixture over the persimmons.
Step 7. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, making sure the foil is not touching the persimmons.
Step 8. Bake at 375F for about 50 minutes or until the persimmon slices are cooked through. Make sure to check the persimmons once or twice during cooking to make sure they are not burning.
How to Serve Baked Persimmons
The vibrant orange color and the wonderful aroma of winter spices make roasted persimmons a great addition to Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner parties. You can serve the persimmons for dessert on their own or with ice cream.
But you don’t have to wait for a special occasion to make a batch of warm caramelized persimmons. They make a delicious topping for a variety of healthy dishes such as yogurt parfait, breakfast granola, muesli, or cottage cheese.
Baked persimmons taste best when they are served warm.
How to Store Baked Persimmons
Baked persimmons keep very well in the fridge. Store them in a glass container with a tight lid for up to 3 days and reheat before serving.
- 5 or 6 medium persimmons * (See the Notes)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Wash the persimmons and remove the top leafy part. Slice the persimmons into eight wedges.
- Spread the persimmon slices on a baking dish in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the persimmons.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, and hot water to a small bowl. Mix until the coconut oil is melted.
- Pour the mixture over the persimmon wedges.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake the persimmons for about 50 minutes or until they are cooked through. Check on the persimmons once or twice during cooking to make sure they are not burning. Serve warm.
* Use only non-astringent persimmons that are still firm when ripe such as Fuyu persimmons.
1. If you've printed this recipe card, please refer to the blog post for the step-by-step photos.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 176Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 3mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 6gSugar 25gProtein 1g
Nutrition facts provided on this website are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a qualified health care provider for personalized diet advice and make sure that each of the ingredients is allowed in your diet.