These baked persimmons are first delicately spiced with warm aromatic winter spices and then caramelized to perfection in the oven. They taste great on their own, and you can also serve them as a dessert with ice cream or add them as a topping to yogurt or oatmeal.
Plus, they will make your home smell like the holidays!
Persimmons are in season in the fall and early winter, which is the perfect time for making baked fruit desserts.
Baked persimmons are colorful, naturally sweet, flavorful, comforting, and satisfying.
They are also very easy to make.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Here are four reasons why this simple dessert recipe is a keeper:
- This is a great recipe for beginners. Making a batch of baked persimmons is seriously very easy!
- This baked fruit recipe is naturally vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
- Roasting persimmons is a great way to use them if you have extra and are not sure what to do with them.
- This delicious dessert is perfect for the holiday season.
The Best Persimmons for Baking
There are quite a few varieties of persimmons available, but not all of them can be used for baking.
For this recipe, you will need non-astringent persimmons that are still firm when ripe.
I usually use Fuyu persimmons and have also made them using Vanilla persimmons, which are imported from Spain.
Here is a brief overview of the ingredients you’ll need to make a batch of baked persimmons:
- Persimmons – Choose non-astringent persimmons that are firm when ripe such as Fuyu persimmons or similar. If your persimmons are very soft, they will fall apart during baking.
- Ground Spices – I used a blend of warming spices such as cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Maple Syrup – This popular natural sweetener adds caramel-like flavor to roasted persimmons. You can also use honey if you like honey-flavored roasted fruit.
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil – Is needed to create a delicious glaze that helps caramelize the persimmons.
- Hot Water – A little hot water is needed to keep the coconut oil liquid and prevent the syrup from drying out too much during baking.
How to Make Easy Spiced Baked Persimmons
Making roasted persimmons is pretty easy.
With a little bit of effort, you will have a healthy dessert ready in just a few steps:
Step 1. Prep the Persimmons.
Wash the persimmons and remove the leaves.
Slice the persimmons into uniform wedges. The easiest way to do this is first to cut a persimmon in half. Then, cut each of the halves in half, and finally, cut the quarters in half. You should have eight roughly-equal wedges.
Cutting persimmons into even slices helps them cook evenly and be done at the same time. (Photo 1)
Step 2. Add Sliced Persimmons to a Baking Dish.
Spread the persimmon wedges on a baking dish in a single layer making sure they are not piled on top of each other and there is space around each slice. (Photo 2)
Step 3. Mix the Spices.
In a small bowl, combine cinnamon with allspice, nutmeg, and cloves. (Photo 3)
Step 4. Sprinkle the Spices over the Persimmons.
Sprinkle half of the spice mix over the persimmons. Flip each slice onto the other side and sprinkle with the rest of the spice mix. (Photo 4)
Step 5. Make the Syrup.
Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, and hot water to a small bowl and mix until the coconut oil is melted.
The water needs to be hot to melt the coconut oil, so if you don’t have hot water, you can just warm up the mixture in a microwave. (Photo 5)
Step 6. Add the Syrup to Persimmons.
Pour the mixture over the persimmons making sure all the slices are coated in the syrup. (Photo 6)
Step 7. Cover the Baking Dish with Foil.
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, making sure the foil is not touching the persimmons. (Photo 7)
Step 8. Bake the Persimmons.
Bake at 375F for about 50 minutes or until the persimmon slices are cooked through. Make sure to check the persimmons once or twice during cooking to make sure they are not burning.
When ready, take the baking dish with persimmons out of the oven and serve warm. (Photo 8)
How to Serve Baked Persimmons
The vibrant orange color and the wonderful aroma of winter spices make roasted persimmons a great addition to Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner parties.
You can serve the persimmons for dessert on their own or with a scoop of ice-cream.
Don’t wait for a special occasion to make a batch of warm caramelized persimmons!
Baked persimmons taste best when they are served warm.
How to Store and Reheat
Storing – Baked persimmons keep very well in the fridge. Store them in a glass container with a tight lid for up to 3 days and reheat before serving. Freezing is not recommended.
Reheating – Preheat the oven to 350F and reheat the persimmons for about 10 to 15 minutes. Individual portions can be reheated in the microwave.
More Baked Fruit Dessert Recipes
Here are a few other dessert recipes that are perfect for fall and winter:
- Fall and Winter Baked Fruit
- Apple Crisp without Flour
- Pear Cranberry Crisp
- Baked Apples with Riccota
- 5 or 6 medium persimmons * (See the Notes)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Wash the persimmons and remove the top leafy part. Slice the persimmons into eight wedges.
- Spread the persimmon slices on a baking dish in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the persimmons.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, and hot water to a small bowl. Mix until the coconut oil is melted.
- Pour the mixture over the persimmon wedges.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake the persimmons for about 50 minutes or until they are cooked through. Check on the persimmons once or twice during cooking to make sure they are not burning. Serve warm.
* Use only non-astringent persimmons that are still firm when ripe such as Fuyu persimmons.
1. If you've printed this recipe card, please refer to the blog post for the step-by-step photos.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 176Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 3mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 6gSugar 25gProtein 1g
Nutrition facts provided on this website are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a qualified health care provider for personalized diet advice and make sure that each of the ingredients is allowed in your diet.