This Vegetarian Quinoa Bake is perfect for summer because it’s light and filling at the same time. It can be served as a main or side dish and tastes delicious hot or just slightly warm. It’s also perfect for taking to work in a container as a healthy lunch.
I love recipes where I can adjust the ingredients depending on what I currently have on hand.
In this recipe, you can substitute quinoa with any other healthy grain such as wild rice, black rice or buckwheat. You can also use different variations of vegetables. For example, use only cauliflower or only zucchini, or replace the cauliflower with broccoli.
You can also use different spices depending on your taste. And don’t forget to garnish your vegetarian quinoa bake with fresh herbs.
This recipe yields quite a lot of food. I usually pack individual portions into glass containers right away so we can either grab it to go or serve at home. I think it would also be fine to freeze it, although I haven’t tried it myself.
Vegetarian Quinoa Bake
This Vegetarian Quinoa Bake is made with roasted vegetables, olive oil and feta cheese. It’s very healthy and can be served as a main or a side dish.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6 portions 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 2 large red bell peppers, core and seeds removed, cut into chunks
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, cleaned and cut if needed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- salt to taste
- Place the quinoa and 3 cups of water into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add a little bit of salt. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy and has absorbed all of the liquid. *See the Notes*
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Oil a large baking dish (mine is 15 X 11 inches, 2.5 inches deep) with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower and stir-fry for about 2 minutes until the cauliflower is warm and covered in oil. Transfer into the baking dish.
- Add a little bit of oil to the same pan if needed. Add the onion, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes to the pan and stir-fry for a couple of minutes. Transfer to the baking dish.
- Season the vegetables with salt, garlic powder, dried oregano and dried basil. Mix well making sure all veggies are covered in spices and oil. Place the baking dish into the oven and roast the veggies for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are almost cooked through.
- Take the baking dish out of the oven. Add the quinoa to the veggies and mix. Add the crumbled feta on top and place back into the oven. Bake the vegetables for another 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese starts to melt.
1. If you don’t like the bitter taste of quinoa, make sure to rinse it first and then soak it in cold water for 30 minutes to 4 hours. Drain and rinse well one more time. This helps to get rid of any left-over saponin residue (a natural insect repellent) that gives quinoa a bitter taste.
2. Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 6 servings.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 416
- Sugar: 9.1g
- Sodium: 453.7mg
- Fat: 21.7g
- Saturated Fat: 8.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 42.2g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Protein: 16.5g
- Cholesterol: 38.9mg