I don’t know how about you, but I often forget to eat greens during the fall and winter months. We naturally crave warm and comforting foods when it’s cool outside and often don’t feel like eating a salad.
Greens are full of nutrients and we need them year-round, so it’s a good idea to eat them as often as possible, preferably daily. To make greens taste better during the cold time of year, I like combining them with roasted vegetables.
If you serve warm roasted vegetables on top of greens, your boring green salad will turn into an appealing fall dish.
I prepared this salad with roasted beets and carrots. You can also make it with other veggies like roasted red bell pepper, butternut squash (or any type of winter squash), eggplant, zucchini, sweet potatoes, onions, etc.
I like adding some goat cheese to this salad because I absolutely love the combination of arugula and goat cheese!
I didn’t add any nuts this time, but I often mix in a handful of walnuts or pecans.
- 6 handfuls mixed greens (about 2 to 3 handfuls per portion)
- 2-3 handfuls arugula ( about 2 to 3 handfuls per portion)
- 6 Tbsp goat cheese ( about 2 Tbsp per portion)
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
For the Roasted Veggies:
- 2 medium beets, peeled
- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons olive oil, maple syrup, ground coriander and garlic powder.
- Slice the beets into wedges. Cut the carrots into thin slices about 1 inch long. Place the veggies onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Pour the olive oil and spices mixture over the veggies and toss them a bit making sure the pieces are evenly covered. Alternatively, you can place the beet wedges into a large bowl and pour about 2/3 of the mixture over the beets. Mix well to combine and place the wedges onto the baking sheet. Repeat with the carrot slices.
- Roast the vegetables for about 30 to 40 minutes until cooked through. Let them cool a bit.
- To assemble the salad, place the mixed greens and arugula on the plates. Add the roasted veggies and goat cheese. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Serving Size1/3 of recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 252Total Fat 14.6gSaturated Fat 4.7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9.2gCholesterol 10.5mgSodium 293.1mgCarbohydrates 23.9gFiber 8.1gSugar 11.6gProtein 10.8g
Nutrition facts provided on this website are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a qualified health care provider for personalized diet advice and make sure that each of the ingredients is allowed in your diet.