Canned Black Bean Soup
This healthy canned black beans soup is very easy to make. It’s perfect for a meal-prep because you can cook it once and eat a few times. Add your favorite toppings and you have a perfect bowl of soup.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 portions
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced or grated
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 small can (14 oz/398 ml) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (19 oz/540 ml) low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- a handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
For Garnish (Optional):
- fresh cilantro
- chopped red onion
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil. Add the sliced onions and cook stirring occasionally until the onion starts to caramelize for about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the carrot, celery, and red bell pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables start to soften for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chili powder and cumin over the vegetables. Stir and wait until the spices become fragrant. This usually takes about one minute. Then add the garlic powder.
- Add the vegetable stock, water, and crushed tomatoes.
- Place half of the black beans (one can) into a bowl and mash them with a potato masher until almost all beans are broken.
- Add all the beans (both cans) to the soup. Season with salt a pepper.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and the cilantro.
- To serve, garnish with avocado, fresh cilantro, and chopped red onion.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 out of 6 servings calculated for the canned black bean soup without any toppings using low sodium canned black beans and low sodium vegetable broth.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 318.7
- Sugar: 5.9g
- Sodium: 360.6g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 53.5g
- Fiber: 19.2g
- Protein: 15.4g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: black bean vegetable soup recipe, black bean vegetable soup, healthy black bean soup