Creamy Baba Ganoush – a Healthy Eggplant Dip
This homemade creamy baba ganoush has a mild smokey flavor with a hint of tahini, garlic, and lemon. Makes for a perfect appetizer and a healthy snack. Can be made in advance. Gluten-free.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 portions
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 2 large eggplants
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp plain 2% yogurt
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- a handful of parsley, chopped
- To prepare the eggplant, cut them in half lengthwise and generously sprinkle the cut side with salt. Leave them for about 30 minutes, then rinse and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the eggplants on a baking sheet the cut side down. Put the baking sheet into the oven and broil the eggplants for about 5 to 10 minutes until the skin is slightly charred.
- Switch the oven setting to 375F. Place the garlic cloves onto the baking sheet beside the eggplant. Roast the garlic for about 25 to 30 minutes until it’s soft and starts to turn golden. Take the garlic cloves out of the oven and continue to roast the eggplant until it starts to collapse and is cooked through. The total time of roasting the eggplant after broiling is about 45 minutes.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven and let the eggplant cool until it can be easily handled.
- Scrape the eggplant flesh into a bowl of a food processor. Add the peeled garlic and pulse a few times. Add the rest of the ingredients: lemon juice, olive oil, yogurt, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt. Process to the desired consistency. For a chunkier consistency, mash everything with a fork.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and place it in the fridge for at least one hour. Baba ganoush keeps well in the fridge for about 3 days.
- To serve, garnish with chopped parsley and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 6 servings.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 133.8
- Sugar: 7.6g
- Sodium: 12.9g
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20.9g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 1.3g
Keywords: Baba Ganoush, Baba Ganoush Recipe, How to Make Baba Ganoush