A warm bowl of this Vegetable Soup with Pumpkin and Barley will keep you satisfied on a grey fall day. This soup is filling, delicious and comforting. It’s also full of fiber and some awesome nutrients.Print
Vegetable Soup with Pumpkin and Barley (Vegan and Low-Glycemic)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 5 cups pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups brown mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups kale, finely shredded
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 900 ml low sodium organic vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the leeks and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and water. Add the pumpkin, mushrooms and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a medium simmer and cook for 30 minutes, until the barley is tender.
- Add the kale. Stir in soy sauce. Add salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a medium simmer and cook for another 10 minutes.