This kale and beet salad is chock-full of healthy nutrients. It’s made with super foods such as beets, kale, walnuts, garlic, and olive oil. It’s filling enough to be eaten as a light meal and you can also serve it as a salad or side dish.
This kale and beet salad makes a perfect addition to your lunch or dinner if you have overindulged in heavy not so healthy foods. It’s super light, high in fiber, and nourishing.
You will need cooked beets to make this salad. If you are not sure how to cook beets, check out my guide to cooking beets where you will find five easy methods and tips and tricks on how to buy, store, and prep beets.
If you’ve used kale in your salads before, you probably know that you should first massage it before adding it to a salad. Kale leaves are quite tough and massaging them helps to break down the fibers and makes the leaves softer and easier to chew. The leaves will also turn beautiful green color.
This kale and beet salad recipe calls for two garlic cloves but if you love garlic, feel free to add more. Garlic is amazing super food that is very much underappreciated.
For a finishing touch, season this salad with coarse sea salt.
This salad keeps well in the fridge in a glass container with a tight lid. But keep in mind that the kale leaves will slightly change the color.
- 4 medium cooked beet (click here to learn how to cook beets), peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium bunch kale (about 4-5 cups loosely packed torn kale leaves)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 chopped garlic cloves (3 if you love garlic)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- Tear the kale leaves from the stems and chop the leaves into small pieces (save the stems for juicing).
- Place the torn kale leaves into a large bowl and massage the leaves with your hands for about 2 to 3 minutes. This helps to break the fibers and soften the kale. You will notice that the kale will become bright green.
- Add the almonds, garlic, and olive oil and toss to combine.
- Add the beets to the kale, season with salt and mix.