Whether you are having a backyard BBQ party or serving a holiday dinner, this caprese appetizer tray is going to make your life much easier because it’s so simple and quick to assemble. All you need are a few ingredients that are usually used for a caprese salad such as tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, olives, fresh basil, and a good quality balsamic vinegar.
Disclaimer: the cheese board I used for this appetizer tray was provided free of charge by SlatePlate.
To assemble the appetizer tray, you will need a large cheeseboard or a platter. I used a SlatePlate cheese board which is perfect because it’s absolutely beautiful and very easy to clean.
First, assemble the caprese bites. Just thread the cheese balls and tomatoes on the skewers or tooth picks and sprinkle them with chopped basil leaves and balsamic vinegar (make sure that the balsamic vinegar is thick in consistency).
Once you are done assembling the caprese bites, arrange the rest of the ingredients on the cheese board. You can also add some healthy crackers and hummus to this appetizer tray.
A deconstructed caprese salad is also a great addition to a picnic basket. Just put the ingredients into separate containers and take them with you to enjoy in the park or garden.
- 2 cups mini bocconcini or mozzarella cheese balls
- 3 cups red and yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup olives
- a few basil leaves, chopped
- good quality balsamic vinegar (has to be thick in consistency and not runny)
- tooth picks or bamboo skewers
- Appetizer tray or platter
- If you are using bamboo skewers, shorten them to the desired length. Depending on the length of the skewer or tooth pick, thread one or two cherry tomato alternating with one or two cheese balls.
- Arrange the caprese bites on the appetizer tray and sprinkle them with the balsamic vinegar and chopped basil leaves.
- Arrange the olives and the rest of the cheese and tomatoes on the tray. Decorate with basil leaves.