My favorite way of cooking vegetables is roasting them in the oven. I love this method because it’s easy and doesn’t involve any complicated techniques – just clean and cut the veggies, put them in the oven, stir once or twice and you have a delicious dish.
I also find that roasted vegetables taste much better than veggies prepared any other way and often tell people who say that they don’t like a particular vegetable to try it roasted.
This Roasted Coriander Carrots with Caramelized Onions make a very filling side dish that can be prepared all year around. Carrots and onions are always available in all grocery stores and are very inexpensive. They also keep very well in the fridge. In fact, you probably already have on hand everything you need to prepare this dish.
Make sure to spread the carrots on the baking sheet in a thin layer and stir them at least once during cooking to ensure that they roast evenly and don’t burn.
I added a generous amount of olive oil to this dish. Not only does it make the carrots and onions taste better, it also helps with the absorption of beta-carotene.
- 3 pounds carrots
- 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- salt to taste
- 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- a handful of parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Wash and peel the carrots. Cut each carrot into 2 to 4 equal-sized pieces that are about 2 inches long. Then cut each piece into 2 to 4 sticks.
- Place the carrots into a large mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, coriander, maple syrup and season with salt. Mix well to combine.
- Transfer the carrots onto a baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender and start to caramelize. Make sure to turn the carrots with a spatula after about 15 minutes.
- To prepare the onion, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook until the onion is caramelized for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the carrots are done, sprinkle them with the apple cider vinegar. Add the caramelized onion and toss.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley or cilantro before serving.