What can I say? It’s just perfect.
It’s healthy, inexpensive, keeps well in the fridge, and is easy to prepare. And it’s in season right now.
Did you know that in addition to all the wonderful nutrients kale is also an awesome source of calcium. Apparently, the calcium in kale is better absorbed by the body than the calcium in milk.
I am always looking for ways to incorporate kale into my diet. So I thought it would taste great with warm sauteed mushrooms. And why not pare it all with ginger dressing and toasted sesame seeds for some Asian flavor.
Seriously, guys, I probably couldn’t have come up with a healthier combination.
Radishes and apples go so well with kale adding some texture and crunch to this Kale Salad with Mushrooms.
- 6 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 pounds brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch kale (about 25 leaves), stems removed and leaves chopped (see Notes)
- 10 to 12 radishes, chopped
- 2 apples (sour variety such as Granny Smith), cored and chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 inch long piece of ginger, peeled and grated ( should yield about 1/2 Tbsp grated ginger)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- To toast sesame seeds, heat a pan over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and toast them for about 2 to 3 minutes until they become fragrant and start to turn golden. Make sure to constantly stir them so that they don't burn. Once the sesame seeds are toasted, transfer them to a plate and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and saute, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms shrink in volume, turn brown, and the liquid has evaporated, for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, pour the lemon juice over chopped apples making sure apple pieces are evenly covered in the lemon juice.
- Place the kale in a large salad bowl and massage it with your hands for a few minutes. This will break down the fibers and make the kale easier to chew and digest. Add the apples and radishes and mix to combine.
- To make the ginger dressing, add the grated ginger, olive oil, wine vinegar, and salt to a small bowl and mix well. Pour the dressing over the veggies and toss to combine.
- When ready to serve, place the kale salad in serving bowls, top with mushrooms, and sesame seeds.