This hearty vegetable soup is filling, warming, and comforting. It’s a perfect soup for those times when you want to cozy up on the couch with a bowl of soup. It’s also a perfect midday meal that will keep you full for hours.
This recipe is also very easy to make. All you have to do is chop the veggies and cook them in olive oil for a few minutes. Once the vegetables start to soften, add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, some water, beans, and seasonings. Bring it to the boil, cover, and cook to allow the flavors to blend.
This soup tastes great on its own. I also love it served with some cilantro and avocado slices.
This hearty vegetable soup is cooked with blugur. If you want to make it completely gluten-free, just use quinoa instead of bulgur.
If you do food prep on the weekend, just make a pot of this soup and you will have a healthy lunch or dinner to enjoy for a few days. This soup is also great for freezing.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 3 Tbsp bulgur
- 1 can (19 oz/ 540 ml) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 900-ml low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- juice of half lime
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook stirring frequently for about 2 to 4 minutes or until the leeks start to soften
- Add the carrots, celery, and bulgur and cook stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, and beans. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, and lime juice and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.